Thursday, November 25, 2010

Attachment

In the midst of our sheet rock dust, no closet hanging rods or shelves yet only two rooms with doors "excitement", our kind and gracious social worker came to visit this week to update our home study for Uganda.  I'm grateful for his ability to see what isn't quite yet visible.  As we met with him, Elijah our four year old neighbor came on in the house on his own and checked in with us periodically in between costume changes while playing Ellie and Chad.  A friend also stopped by with dinner, my dad dropped in after visiting with our other neighbor about their house plans and he got a glimpse of the open door life in our neighborhood.  In some ways, as we talked about Uganda and adoption in this environment, it provided a wonderful "big picture" view of where God has us and is taking us.

My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  John 10:27

In going back over some basic things about which we need to acknowledge our understanding in our home study, we discussed attachment issues.  A child who has lived life without a parent may at best have bonded with a particular care giver, but at worst seeks that intimacy with anyone and yet feels accountable to no one.  As I've sure mentioned before, I can see this tendency in my own orphan inclined heart.  I want anyone I encounter to approve of (and marvel at!) my thoughts, choices and actions while I may whither under the criticism of just as broad a spectrum of people.  All the while, there is only One voice that I should be tuning in to hear and recognizing as my authority and place of safety.

I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me.  Ex. 20:2-3

There is only One who has the power to truly rescue me (from my sin, from the judgment of others, from a broken world, etc.) and only One I am to call Abba Father.  Every single person who sets himself or herself before me should not command the same authority as my creator, redeemer, sustainer and lover of my soul.  When I, like a legal orphan, become properly attached to One Father, I do not have to madly seek out the affection of others, but can rest securely in the arms of One.  In a house full of people coming in and out, or a community of family and friends, there is only One voice which should capture my attention.
You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.  John 8:44


The seeming chaos of our house, with people running in and out amidst tools, furniture, paint and toys, is not so stressful when I know whose voice to focus on or upon which one thing to focus.  While I have absolutely spent a good amount of time staring like a deer in headlights at the endless tasks which each demand my immediate attention, I have also experienced a surprising amount of peace even in the setting of this disorganized place.  Because a visitor wonders why we haven't landscaped yet or the plumber tells us how easy it would be to replace the latch on the crawl space, everyone else's urgent does not have to be mine.  In the broader context, all the voices which demand my attention or obedience can be quieted by His One voice to which He draws, tunes and attaches my heart.


The voice of the LORD is over the waters;
the God of glory thunders, the LORD thunders over the mighty waters. 
The voice of the LORD is powerful;
the voice of the LORD is majestic. 
The voice of the LORD breaks the cedars; the LORD breaks in pieces the cedars of Lebanon. 
He makes Lebanon leap like a calf, Sirion like a young wild ox.  The voice of the LORD strikes with flashes of lightning.  The voice of the LORD shakes the desert; the LORD shakes the Desert of Kadesh.  The voice of the LORD twists the oaks and strips the forests bare.

And in his temple all cry, “Glory!”
The LORD sits enthroned over the flood; the LORD is enthroned as King forever. 
The LORD gives strength to his people;
the LORD blesses his people with peace.
Psalm 29:3-11

No comments: