Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sabbath from Striving

Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day. Deuteronomy 5:15


Walter spoke this morning on the forming habit of Sabbath rest. This verse, in its full context, explains exactly why it is not a new law but a gracious gift and also exposes why I cannot seem to take hold of this genuine, deep rest.

Restlessness, anxiety, impatience...these seem to characterize my heart far more than their counterparts. At the heart of the matter, (which is where the matter always starts), is my endless striving. It is so much my default mode that I am not even conscious of it until I have effectively stomped all over each person in my family in those moments when I feel the most stressed. My endless striving steals life not only from me, but from those around me. I endlessly strive because I don't realize I have been set free from the slavery of attaining my own righteousness, of earning God's approval and of needing man's praise. Perfectionism is a deceptive slave master, and a pretty thin veil for my pride.

God made Him who had no sin to become sin that I may become His righteousness. I no longer live but Jesus lives in me - it is His striving which attains all I need for approval, completion and rest. I have been rescued from behind the tree like Adam, from my passed out humiliation like Noah, from my bitter, hateful self-righteousness like Paul. So I can rest, have the freedom to rest, have the permission to rest and am given the faith to rest.

Oh that the foretaste Sunday provides of genuine, soul satisfying rest that has been gifted to me would begin to be accepted in my heart.
"Out of unrest and arrogant pride, Jesus I Come, Jesus I Come" - William T. Sleeper 1887

No comments: