Thursday, October 15, 2009

Be Still and Know Him

So how does the Gospel provide that living water for me to drink? It is clear that I have preferred sugar water which dehydrates even as it looks so much like the very thing I need. Here is what Scotty Smith wrote:

+++

Lord Jesus, doing noble things for you is not the same thing as spending life-giving time with you. Thinking great thoughts about you is not the same thing as vital communion with you. Helping others understand the gospel is not the same thing as freshly connecting with you. I’m not really all that concerned about others being able to say, “He’s been with Jesus” as much as I want to know that I’ve been with you.

Because… who do I have I in heaven but you, Jesus? And being with you, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but you, Jesus, are the strength of my heart and my portion forever… It is good, and it is enough, for me to be near you… my sovereign savior and my loving refuge. So very Amen, I pray in Jesus name.

+++

Right now, my heart is failing because I do desire many things on earth more than Jesus...mostly I desire bold work with Him to be part of making all things new even now. He wants me to be satisfied by Him alone, to have no identity outside of Him, to cling for life to nothing other than Him, to desire nothing compared to communion and oneness with Him.


I want to run, go, do, fight for His Kingdom, leave it all out on the field for His glory... yet He is calling me simply to be still and know Him. Lord, would you still me? Would you quiet my wandering, restless heart and hold it close to yours? Thank you that you have not left me to grab at you, to approach you properly, to quiet myself, to say the right thing or ask in just the right way. You are not waiting on me "to get it" or to "figure it out". YOU will complete the good work that YOU have begun so I will wait and I will trust.

No comments: